We are getting into roast season and you really can't get any easier than this super tasty slow cooker balsamic glazed roast beef dinner! The slow cooker is amazing for long slow braises for meat where you can literally just throw the roast into the slow cooker in the morning and let it cook all day long, completely unattended! Pot roast style roast beef is one of my favourite comfort meals and for this one the roast is braised in a tasty gravy wit balsamic vinegar, soy sauce, brown sugar, Worcestershire and garlic.
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 3 pounds Ontario Corn Fed Beef roast such as chuck, round, brisket
- 1 large onion, sliced
- 4 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1 cup beef broth
- 1/2 cup balsamic vinegar
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce (or tamari)
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 pound baby carrots (optional)
- 1 pound mini potatoes or diced potatoes (optional)
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch + 2 tablespoons water
- Heat the oil in a large pan over medium-high heat, add the beef and brown on all sides, about 20 minutes and set aside.
- Add the onions and cook until tender, about 2-3 minutes, before adding the garlic and red pepper flakes and cooking until fragrant, about a minute.
- Place the beef, onions, broth, balsamic vinegar, soy sauce, brown sugar, Worcestershire sauce, carrots and potatoes in a slow cooker, cover and cook on low for 8-10 hours or on high for 3-5 hours. (The beef will be falling apart tender when done!)
- Remove the carrots, potatoes and beef and slice or shred the beef.
- Skim any fat from the cooking juices, place it in a sauce pan, bring to a simmer, add the mixture of the cornstarch and water and cook until the glaze has thickened a bit.