This Healthy Cream Cheese Strawberry Stuffed French Toast is an easy homemade family breakfast or brunch recipe. We love how fluffy it turns out!
- 4 tablespoons low fat cream cheese
- 1 tablespoon maple syrup or honey
- 2 eggs
- 1/4 cup milk
- 4 tablespoons whole grain bread crumbs divided
- 1 tablespoon sugar divided
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon divided
- 8 strawberries hulled and sliced
- 8 slices whole wheat bread
- 2 teaspoons oil divided
- To make the filling mix the cream cheese with the honey and set aside.
- In a shallow dish whisk the eggs and milk together.
- On a large plate combine 2 tablespoons bread crumbs, 1/2 tablespoon sugar and 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon.
- Heat 1/2 teaspoon oil in a large non-stick frying pan. To assemble the French Toast, spread a slice of bread with 1/4 of the cream cheese mixture. Top with two sliced strawberries and cover with a second slice of bread. Coat first with the egg mixture and then with bread crumbs. Fry over medium-high heat until golden brown and crunchy, gently pushing down on the edges of the bread to seal.
- Continue the same way with the other six bread slices. Halfway through wipe the plate with the coating mixture clean and mix the rest of the bread crumbs, sugar and cinnamon for making the other two French Toasts.
- Serve warm with additional strawberries.