FOR THE SPONGES
- 5 eggs
- 275g butter, softened
- 275g caster sugar
- 275g self-raising flour
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 2 tbsp milk
- Wilton Pink, Rose and Violet Icing Colours
FOR THE FROSTING
- 700g Lakeland Classic White Frosting
- 20 drops Lakeland Natural Raspberry Flavour
- 10 fresh raspberries
- A few chocolate shavings (optional)
- Preheat the oven to 180°C/Gas 4 and lightly grease the 5 pans with Cake Release.
- Break the eggs into a large mixing bowl and gently whisk. Add the remaining ingredients except the colours and mix until well combined.
- Divide the mixture evenly into 5 bowls then add the colours using a cocktail stick – as only very small amounts are required, take care to add just a little at a time then keep adding a little more until you reach your desired shade. We started with just pink, then combined pink and red to create a darker shade of pink, then for the bottom two layers, mainly used violet with hints of pink and red.
- Transfer the mixtures into the pans, spreading them evenly then make a slight dip in the centre of each to help to achieve an even rise.
- Place all the pans in the oven, evenly spaced, and bake for 18 minutes until a skewer inserted into the middle of each cake comes out clean. Set aside and cool for 5 minutes then remove from the pans and transfer to a wire rack to cool completely.
- Place the frosting into a mixing bowl, add the raspberry flavour and mix until combined.
- To assemble the cake, smear a small amount of frosting on a cake stand or plate and secure the darkest sponge on this then cover it with a layer of frosting and place the next darkest sponge on top. Repeat with the remaining sponges, progressing from darkest to lightest.
- Thickly spread the remaining frosting all over the sides and top of the cake and smooth out. To create the ruffled effect on the sides, hold a palette knife flat against the cake at the bottom then run it all the way around – this is easiest using a cake turntable. Hold the knife against the cake just above the first ruffle and run it around again then repeat until you reach the top of the cake. To create the swirl on top, place the end of the knife in the centre of the cake and sweep it around in a spiral until you reach the outside. Top with the raspberries and chocolate, if using.