We eat a lot of soup in this house. I make soup several times a week, so when I saw Nicole’s Spicy Thai Noodle Soup, I knew right away that was what I’d be making!
I did adapt her recipe slightly to adjust to my family’s taste buds. Nicole uses coconut cream in her recipe; I used coconut milk because I knew my husband would like that better. Coconut cream has a richer sweeter flavor and a thicker consistency, and we’ve had soups with coconut cream in it. I like it; my husband, not so much. I like cooking with coconut milk as well though, and was comfortable making that switch. I used ginger paste in place of fresh ginger (mostly because I hate to chop ginger), and cilantro paste instead of coriander paste. I also added a couple cups of shredded chicken, which Nicole mentions you can definitely do. I’ll be trying it with shrimp as well.
I was a little nervous because we had my mother-in-law, my sister-in-law and her husband over to eat the night I made it. It’s always a bit stressful when you try out a new recipe for company! But every single one of them loved it, including my husband! And both my mother-in-law AND sister-in-law asked for the recipe.
The biggest test for me though was when I gave the friend who has traveled so much in Thailand some of our leftovers. She loved the soup as well. SUCCESS!
Skip the takeout! This delicious Thai Chicken Noodle Soup is easy to make at home with ingredients you can find in your local supermarket. If you love Thai food, you need to try this recipe!
- 2 large cloves of garlic, chopped
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 red bell pepper, chopped
- 2 tablespoons ginger paste or fresh ginger
- 1 tablespoon lemongrass paste
- 2 tablespoons red curry paste
- 1 tablespoon cilantro paste
- 1 tablespoon red chili paste (can also used 2 red chilies, chopped)
- 2 tablespoons coconut oil
- 1 lime, zested and juiced
- 1 tablespoon fish sauce
- 4 cups chicken stock
- 1 can (13.5 fl oz) coconut milk
- 2 cups shredded chicken
- 7 oz rice noodles
- For garnish:
- 1 bunch of cilantro, leaves chopped
- 4-5 green onions, thinly sliced, both white and green parts
- 1 green chili, sliced, seeds removed
- 1 red chili, sliced, seeds removed
- Combine garlic, onion, red pepper, ginger paste, lemongrass paste, red curry paste, cilantro paste, red chili paste and coconut oil in a food processor, and process until a paste forms.
- While you are making your paste, start boiling water for the rice noodles.
- Add the paste to a medium pot and fry it for a couple of minutes, just until it's fragrant.
- Add the chicken stock and coconut milk and bring to a boil, Reduce heat to a simmer and simmer for about 10 minutes.
- In the last couple of minutes, add your shredded chicken.
- While the soup is simmering, cook your noodles according to the package directions and drain.
- Add your fish sauce, lime juice and zest and rice noodles to the soup.
- Garnish with chopped cilantro, green onion and green and red chilies.