As much as I want the days to stay longer and the weather to wait just a little longer before full-on snow shows up, I kind of like this time of year. I like wrapping up in a big sweater and watching the leaves blow around outside.
And it also happens to be the time of year when nothing will do except a big bowl of soup to warm you right up. So today, I’m sharing this delicious Thai slow cooker chicken and wild rice soup with you!
I can never seem to go too long without sharing another Thai-inspired recipe! Check out this Thai Curry Sweet Potato Lentil Soup and this Thai Butternut Squash Soup for more Thai flavors!
This soup is packed full of your traditional Thai curry flavors: that blend of savory, sweet, sour and spicy. Actually, Ben and I both agreed that this soup was one of our favorites on this site…and we are very snobby about our Thai food!
This soup also happens to be packed full of veggies (cause that’s how I roll). Those potatoey looking things up there are actually squash (I used acorn squash but any squash would be great)! FOUR whole cups of squash and there’s also carrots and onions.
This Thai Slow Cooker Chicken and Wild Rice Soup is an easy dump and go crock pot recipe!
I used boneless skinless chicken thighs in this Thai slow cooker chicken and wild rice soup, because I really like the texture it has. BUT you can totally use chicken breast instead!
Now. I’m off to dig out my big puffy parka…because if I know Calgary, I know -20 is just around the corner. (WAH!!)
- 6 boneless skinless chicken thighs
- 4 carrots, chopped
- 4 cups squash, cubed (acorn & butternut were both great)
- 2 onions, diced
- 2 tablespoons fresh ginger, minced
- ⅔ cup wild rice blend (I used a brown rice & wild rice blend)
- 6 cups chicken stock
- 2 tablespoons thai red curry paste (I used this one)
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons fish sauce
- After cooking:
- 1 400mL cans of coconut milk (I recommend using full fat, not light coconut milk)
- Combine all ingredients except the coconut milk in a 6 quart slow cooker
- Cook on low for 6 hours or high for 4 hours.
- Stir in the coconut milk and cook for 10 or so minutes until completely combined.
- Shred chicken with two forks.
- Serve with lime wedges and cilantro (if desired).