- 225g (8 oz) Stork with butter
- 225g (8 oz) caster sugar
- 4 large eggs
- 225g (8 oz) self-raising flour, sieved
- Zest of 1 lemon
For the Icing:
- 225g (8 oz) icing sugar
- 100g Stork with butter
- 1-2 teaspoons milk
- 2 tablespoons lemon curd
- A few silver balls
- Crystallized lemon: 1 lemon, 40g caster sugar
- Place Stork and sugar in a mixing bowl and cream together until light and fluffy. Beat in the eggs one at a time, adding a little flour with the last egg.
- Fold in the remaining flour and lemon zest.
- Place mix in 2 x 20cm (8 inch) greased and lined sandwich cake tins.
- Bake on middle shelf of oven 170°C, 160°C fan, Gas 4 for 30 – 35 minutes. Cool..
- Beat icing ingredients together until smooth.
- Decoration: cut lemon peel in long strands, place in saucepan with sugar and 100ml water over medium heat. Cook, stirring until sugar dissolves. Boil then simmer for 10 mins. Spread over baking parchment and leave to set.
- Sandwich cake together with 1/3 icing and the lemon curd. Spread next third on top and use remaining icing to pipe drops with a large plain nozzle around the edge of the cake. Decorate with silver balls and the crystallized lemon.