Rice is served various instances a week in my kitchen, and although I do enjoy undeniable basmati rice with some butter or some curried dal poured over pinnacle, i really like to test with diverse flavor combos. My cutting-edge instruction become inspired via Dakshin, a beautiful cookbook offering some jewels from South India. Pongal is a dish consisting of rice, lentils and spices. as an alternative wet in consistency, it is balanced enough to be served as a meal via itself, perhaps with some flat breads, or you could serve it as part of a larger meal with another legume dish, and a few greens.
- 1 cup white basmati rice
- 2 tablespoons ghee, butter or oil
- 1/4 cup raw cashews, halved
- half cup break up skinless mung beans (moong dal)
- half of teaspoon turmeric
- 4 1/2 cups water
- 3 tablespoons ghee, butter or oil
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon asafetida
- 1-inch piece fresh ginger, minced or grated
- handful of dried curry leaves
- 1/4 cup dried grated unsweetened coconut
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- Rinse the rice nicely in a excellent mesh strainer. transfer to a bowl, cowl with water, graceful it around a few times, and drain. Repeat till the water is distinctly clean and now not cloudy. Drain all over again, cowl with fresh water, and soak for 20 minutes or longer. Drain and set aside to air dry in a strainer for 15 mins or longer.
- warmness 2 tablespoons of the ghee, butter or oil in a frying pan over medium warmth. whilst hot, toss in the cashews and fry for five minutes or till browned. get rid of with a slotted spoon and set apart.
- Toast the break up mung beans for five minutes in a dry unoiled medium saucepan over medium warmth, tossing often. cast off and wash in a strainer. upload the rice to the saucepan and toast for 5 mins, tossing regularly. add the mung beans and turmeric and pour in four 1/2 cups of water. bring to a boil, reduce warmness to low, cover, and simmer for 30 minutes or till the cut up mung beans and rice are cooked and the water is broadly speaking evaporated. upload extra water if important. Set apart.
- warmth the remaining 3 tablespoons of ghee, butter or oil in a huge saucepan over medium warmth. while warm, upload the cumin, black pepper, asafetida, ginger and curry leaves. Stir for 1 minute, then add the rice and dal to the pan along side the coconut and salt. prepare dinner for another few minutes, including a chunk of water to the pan if favored.
- Serve warm garnished with the fried cashews.