SPINACH BALLS – HEALTHY APPETIZERS
Those Cheesy Spinach balls are the best easy appetizer to impress your guest. It is made in few minutes using only 5 ingredients.
- 6 cup fresh spinach leaves trimmed, washed (230 g) see note for frozen/cooked spinach
- 3 cup boiling water
- 3 eggs
- 1/2 cup grated cheese (60g) - I used Cheddar, use grated parmesan or grated emmental for more cheese flavor
- 1/4 cup fresh herbs of your choice, finely chopped I used cilantro
- 1 cup Gluten Free Panko Crumbs (75 g)
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic salt
- Preheat oven to 350 F (180 C).
- Trim and wash the fresh spinach leaves.
- Place the leaves in a large mixing bowl and over with boiling water. Cover and set aside for 3 minutes.
- Rinse the spinach with cold tap water. Drain using your hands to squeeze all the remaining water. You should obtain about 2/3 cup (160 g) of packed cooked spinach leaves. If you are using frozen spinach, defrost and measure this quantity.
- Place on a chop board and finely chop the cooked spinach. Transfer into a mixing bowl.
- Add eggs, cheese, herbs and panko gluten free crumbs. You can also add salt and pepper if your cheese is not very salty. I did not add salt.
- Combine with a spoon or your hands, until it forms a batter from which you are able to form balls with your hands or use a small cookie scoop maker to avoid the mess
- If too moist add slightly more crumb until easy to roll as ball with your hands palms.
- Place the balls on a non-stick cookie tray covered with baking paper.
- Bake at 350F (180C) for 15-20 minutes or until golden on the top.
- Serve immediately or cold in luchboxes.
- Serve with dips of your choice like pesto, hummus or homemade ketchup.