Fry Up These Absolutely Delicious Eggplant Parmesan Bites Today
- 2-3 medium eggplants, thinly sliced
- Salt, to taste
- 8-10 basil leaves, chopped
- 15 ounces ricotta cheese, drained of excess moisture
- 1 cup mozzarella cheese
- 1/2 cup parmesan cheese
- 4 eggs, beaten, divided
- Italian seasoned bread crumbs
- Oil for frying
- Marinara sauce for dipping
- Slice the eggplant and lay out on a paper towel lined baking sheet.
- Generously salt the eggplant on both sides and leave to sit for 30 minutes to soften and draw out excess moisture.
- In a medium mixing bowl add the basil, ricotta, mozzarella, parmesan, and one egg (beaten). Mix together.
- Blot off the water and excess salt from the eggplant with additional paper towels.
- Picking two equal sized eggplant slices, sandwich about a tablespoon of the ricotta mixture between the slices and place on a wax paper lined baking tray.
- Freeze for 30 minutes to one hour.
- In three separate bowls, place the flour, bread crumbs, and the remaining three eggs, beaten.
- Remove eggplant from the freezer and coat each first in flour, then egg, then bread crumbs. Coat once more in egg and a final time in the bread crumbs. Place back in the freezer while you prepare to fry.
- In a large saucepan, heat oil to 350˚F (180˚C). Fry eggplant in batches, three at a time, until nicely browned on all sides.
- Remove and place on a paper towel lined plate to drain off any excess oil. Sprinkle with salt.
- Serve with marinara sauce. Enjoy!