During the summer one of my favourite things is all of the fresh ripe tomatoes and basil and the combination of the two is absolutely fabulous! Things get even better when you add some fresh mozzarella and touch of balsamic vinegar to the mix, caprese salad style, and I often like to throw some diced avocado in as well. These caprese stuffed avocados are a slightly different take on that idea where an avocado half is filled with a mixture of diced tomatoes and fresh mozzarella tossed in a homemade basil pesto served on a bed of salad greens all topped with a drizzle of balsamic reduction! The combination of the cool and creamy avocado, juicy tomatoes, mozzarella, fresh basil pesto and tangy balsamic vinegar is simply divine; pure summer on a plate!
- 2 avocados, cut in half, stone and skin removed
- 1 cup salad greens
- 1 cup tomato, diced
- 1/2 cup fresh mozzarella, diced
- 2 tablespoons basil pesto
- 2 tablespoons balsamic reduction
- Plate the avocado on the salad greens and top with the mixture of the tomato, mozzarella and pesto followed by a drizzle of the balsamic reduction.
Note: To make the balsamic reduction, simmer balsamic vinegar until it reduces to 1/2 to 1/4 or the desired thickness and let cool before using.