This vegetable soup recipe is great because it can be made on the weekend to enjoy throughout the week and it freezes well. I spoon it into single servings and portion it into freezer bags.
- 1 small onion , diced
- 2 cloves garlic , minced
- 1 cup diced carrots
- 4 cups chopped cabbage (approx. 1/4 head of cabbage)
- 1 cup green beans (1″ pieces)
- 2 whole bell peppers , chopped
- 1 can (28 oz) low sodium diced tomatoes
- 6 cups low sodium beef broth
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 2 bay leaves
- 1/2 teaspoon each thyme & basil
- pepper to taste
- 2 cups broccoli florets
- 2 cups sliced zucchini
- In a large pot cook onion & garlic over medium heat until slightly softened.
- Add carrots, cabbage & green beans and cook an additional 5 minutes.
- Stir in bell peppers, undrained tomatoes, broth, tomato paste, bay leaves and seasonings. Simmer 6-7 minutes.
- Add in zucchini & broccoli. Simmer an additional 5 minutes or until softened.
- Remove bay leaves before serving.