I love everything I post on here, but this easy queso recipe is one I REALLY want to shout from the blog-tops. It’s the perfect consistency, the perfect flavor, and perfectly simple. My kind of recipe.
- 3/4 lb good quality white american cheese (buy it sliced at the deli counter at your grocery store. Then chop into small squares), finely chopped
- 4 ounces (1/4 pound) good quality fontina or mozzarella cheese, shredded
- 1 1/4 cup half-and-half
- 2 tablespoons canned jalapenos, finely chopped (You can also use Green Chiles. I love Old El Paso SO MUCH for both types!)
- 1 teaspoon chili powder (you could also use cumin if you prefer that taste)
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg (optional. some readers haven't liked this spice although some did,)
- 1 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- chopped cilantro, tomatoes, and jalapenos for garnish
- Heat 1/2 and 1/2 over medium/high heat in a small saucepan.
- Once simmering (bring to JUST before boil...when it starts bubbling up the sides it's ready), reduce heat to low.
- Immediately stir in the cheese in batches, starting with the white american cheese. As you stir in the cheese, increase heat to medium and whisk CONSTANTLY while the cheese melts. Once each batch is melted/creamy, add more. Don't stop stirring, you have to whisk the entire time while adding cheese.
- Once done with the white american, add in the shredded fontina or mozzarella. Again, which CONSTANTLY while the cheese melts, insuring you have a creamy blend. If you prefer the cheese a bit thicker, add a bit more of the mozzarella.
- Once all the cheese is melted, stir in the jalapenos, chili powder, nutmeg, red pepper, and salt and pepper. *** (see below)
- If you want the queso to be browned like in my pictures, pour the queso into a small nonstick skillet and place in the oven. Broil for 3-4 minutes or until cheese begins to bubble and brown (optional)
- Top with cilantro, tomatoes, and more jalapenos if desired.
- Serve with tortilla chips and enjoy!
- (Dip can be kept in an airtight container in the fridge for 3-4 days. Microwave with a splash of half and half or milk to keep it creamy)
- For making this in a slow cooker, start on high, adding the cheese and 1/2 and 1/2. Once melted, turn the setting to low and add in the spices and remaining ingredients. Stir often. Enjoy!***