The Houston barbecue scene, already enjoying the redolent riches of a new wave of pitmasters smoking with authority and a distinctly local outlook, is about to get a new concept that aims to rewrite the notion of a barbecue restaurant.
Pappas Bar-B-Q Jalapeño Creamed Corn Pudding
- 5 cups fresh corn kernels
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- ½ cup diced onion
- 2 tablespoons diced jalapeño
- ½ teaspoon minced garlic
- ¾ teaspoon kosher salt
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- 1 cup heavy cream
- ½ cup whole milk
- 8 ounces cream cheese
- Melt butter in a large sauté pan over medium-high heat.
- Add in corn, diced onion, jalapeño, garlic, kosher salt and black pepper. Sweat for 10 minutes, or until the onions are translucent.
- Add heavy cream to the pan and bring to a simmer. Simmer for 5 minutes until the cream has reduced by half.
- Add milk and return to a simmer, then turn off the heat.
- Remove ¹/3 of the cream-corn mixture and place in blender. Blend until smooth.
- Pour puréed mixture back into the sauté pan and stir until fully combined.
- Bring cream corn back up to a simmer and add in cream cheese. Stir until cream cheese is completely melted.