Cloud Breakfast Eggs
My Mum always taught me the importance of a good breakfast, infact she’s been known to make it a multiple course affair. An extra special effort was always made before a big school day, like an exam or school trip, just to make sure we were on top form.
One breakfast I remember in particular was before I left on a school trip to a residential activity centre. It was going to be the longest I’d spent away from my family and I was a bundle of nervous excitement. With my bags packed, my Mum made sure I had eaten a really good breakfast before I left on the adventure. I guess it was the last thing she could do for me before I got on the bus.
That’s what this recipe is made for really, to feed your kids up on those very important days and send them away with a breakfast they’ll love. Plus it only takes ten minutes.
- 1 egg per nest
- Cooked meats: ham, chorizo, prosciutto, bacon lardons, pancetta
- Grated cheese: parmesan, gruyere, red leicester, cheddar
- Herbs: parsley, thyme, chives
- Greens: spinach, kale, rocket
- Spices: smoked paprika, cayenne pepper, chilli flakes, cajun spice mix
- Preheat the oven to 220C (425F, gas mark 7)
- Separate the egg white from the yolk
- Whisk the egg whites in a mixer bowl with a pinch of salt until it forms stiff peaks
- Gently fold in any chosen ingredients
- Pile in to nest shapes on a lined baking sheet, one nest per egg used.
- Bake for 3 minutes, then slip the yolk in to the center of the nest
- Another 3 minutes in the oven and they should be fluffy, golden mounds, ready to serve